The "Battle of the Shirts"
The site of this battle is a field northeast of Laggan Locks, beside the Allt an Sidhein - about 1km from the hostel.
The battle took place in the summer of 1544, on a day which was so warm that the men took off their plaids and fought only in their shirts. Five hundred men from Clanranald and Clan Cameron fought three hundred Frasers and Grants; reputedly eight men survived on the Clanranald side, and five on the other, and the loch was red with blood for days after.
The castle was the seat of the MacDonnells of Glengarry, built in the 17th Century in an imposing situation above Loch Oich on 'Creagan an Fhithich', the 'Raven's Rock'.
The castle was damaged, and then repaired, after the 1715 Jacobite Uprising, and burned by the Duke of Cumberland after the 1745 uprising. Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed here both before and after the Battle of Culloden.
The castle is on the minor road to the Glengarry Castle Hotel (turn off the A82 about 4kms north of the hostel). If you are paddling, there is a great view of the castle from Loch Oich.
The Well of the Seven Heads
This gory monument is beside Loch Oich, across the road from the shop. It was put up by Alasdair Ranaldson Macdonell, the 15th Chief of Glengarry, to commemorate the 'Keppoch Murders': in 1663 the young chief, Alasdair Macdonell, and his brother, were murdered at Keppoch supposedly by their uncle, the tacksman of Inverlair. MacDonald of Sleat ordered a reprisal - the beheading of the tacksman and his six sons. The monument is sited at a spring where the heads were washed before being presented to the chief at Glengarry Castle.